Our Disclosure Services team responds to requests for access to records by individuals who are or have received services from the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CAST), as well as requests from third parties for disclosure of information.

When you submit an online records request, once we have prepared your records, we will email you a link to our secure portal where you will be able to view and download the response to your request.

For questions and/or assistance in completing a records request form, please email: Records requests: RequestRecords@TorontoCAS.ca

For questions and/or assistance in completing a records request in relation to an adoption, please email: Adoption disclosure requests: YourRoots@torontocas.ca

How to Request Access to Your Records

CAST provides non-identifying information from our records to adult adopted persons, adoptive parents, birth parents, birth grandparents, birth siblings, birth aunts/uncles, and the adult children of deceased adopted individuals.
If you were adopted or related to someone who was adopted through CAST and you would like to request non-identifying information, please complete a request form:

If you are a descendant of an adult adoptee who is deceased, a copy of the death certificate will be required. You must attach one copy of valid government issued photo identification along with your request.

Identifying Information: For copies of birth registration and adoption orders for all adoptees, you must apply to the Ministry of Community and Social Services at Service Ontario or toll free at 1-800-461-2156. or download an application form for “Post Adoption Birth Information” from the Service Ontario website. Children’s Aid Societies are only permitted to release non-identifying information.

Adoption Disclosure Register: If you are an adopted person seeking contact with a birth relative or vice versa, you may wish to place your name on the Adoption Disclosure Register. If you register and the person you are seeking also registers and wishes to have contact with you, your identifying information will be exchanged. Application forms and guides are available at Service Ontario or by calling Service Ontario at 416-325-8305 or 1-800-461-2156. Please note that children’s aid societies do not have access to the Register.

For questions and/or assistance with requests for adoption disclosures, please email: YourRoots@torontocas.ca.

If you are currently receiving services from CAST or have in the past, and would like access to your personal information you can submit a records request:

A parent with custody of a child under the age of 16 may request personal information of their child, subject to some exceptions.

If you are a person with custodial rights/decision-making and wish to request personal information of your child(ren) who are under the age of 16, please provide the names and dates of birth of your child(ren) and confirm that you are a custodial parent/guardian. In some circumstances, we may ask you to provide documents confirming your authority to make the request in place of your child.

A parent who wants a more fulsome copy of their record of service with CAST should obtain and attach to the Records Request form the signed consent of other adults (including the other parent, where applicable, and children over the age of 16) who were also involved in their instance of service with CAST, along with a copy of government issued ID from each person providing consent which confirms the consenters’ signatures.

If you were in the care of CAST and require confirmation of your former status with our Agency (crown ward/extended society care, society ward/interim society care), please access the records request form.

If you require the completion of OSAP’s Verification of Status with an Ontario’s Children’s Aid Society (CAS) form, please access the records request form.

  • Online: Access the records request form here and select the request type: Access to my Records.
    • Complete the form and in the reason for request section indicate that you require the completion of the Verification of Status form.
    • Upload your signed and dated copy of the form.
    • Attach your government issued photo identification.
    • Note: You must use and submit the personalized version of the form downloaded from your OSAP account, which will feature your name, address, and a unique bar code. Generic forms will not be accepted.
  • Printed: Download the PDF version of the form here, print, complete offline and follow instructions.

When individuals, Private Adoption Practitioners or a non-CPIN using child welfare organization inside or outside of Ontario wants to know if an individual has had involvement with CAST they can submit a Child Welfare Record Check request.

  • Online: Access the records request form here and select the request typeOther Disclosure, complete the form and attach the required documentation (e.g., consent of the individuals whose personal information you are requesting, court order, other authority).

Under the Child, Youth, Family Services Act (CYFSA) we are permitted to disclose personal information collected for providing services in certain circumstances. You can submit a record disclosure request form:

  • Online: Access the records request form here and select the request type: Other Disclosure, complete the form and attach the required documentation (e.g., consent of the individuals whose personal information you are requesting, court order, other authority).

If you have previously been provided with access to a record of your personal information and believe that the record is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact our Privacy Officer via email at: privacyofficer@torontocas.ca.

Information Practices

For more information on how we collect, use and share your personal information, please see our Notice of Information Practices. Additional information about rights to access to records under the CYFSA (Part X) is available on the website of the Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner.