Now that summertime is here there are a few things that parents and caregivers can do to keep children safe while they have fun this summer. Read safety tips for riding, swimming, walking and playing safe.
• Make sure kids wear a helmet; and keep them off the road until they’re 10
• Choose to ride on streets where the speed limit is lower and where traffic is less busy
• Supervise children of all ages near any body of water and stay within arms reach of children under five
• Have your child take swimming lessons. Children are ready to take swimming lessons at about age 4
• Make sure children under the age of nine cross the street with an adult or older child
• Cross streets only at intersections; don’t cross in the middle of the street
• Keep kids under five on playground equipment less than five feet (1.5 meters) high
• Watch your child all the time; stand close enough to catch them when they climb
For more tips on how you and your family can have a safe and healthy spring and summer, visit Safe Kids Canada.